Monday, June 3, 2013

Where I post from...

The gas is ten dollars a gallon. And there is a sign above the cashier counter that says "we don't dial 911". Below that is a picture of a gun in a fist.  But the people are friendly and fun. This lady has homemade "bumblebee pie" made from every kind of berry you can imagine. You get a slice and a cup of  coffee for six bucks. I must have picked up a deer tick chasing bears last night, and she told me to "take that outside now". When I came back in, she had seen that I was carrying my computer - so she was waiting with the wifi password and some hydrogen peroxide for the tick bite.

Going backwards a couple of days - things came together nicely before we left. I knew I wasn't going to make it, so I swallowed my pride and asked the folks for some help. Mom and dad helped with cleaning my camper, doing laundry, and dishes - while I shopped, ran errands, packed, and had a tooth pulled.  I must have been completely exhausted because the morning I left, Dad had to shake and shake on me to bring me back to life. I was late getting to PJ's house (which is really rare for me) and I still haven't  heard the end of it! But, PJ left the lights on and killed my battery, so we are even I guess.

North Dakota was a bugger. We had 30 MPH north winds and my truck was guzzling gas. But it is what it is, so we enjoyed watching waterfowl. The ditches and fields were flooded and running with water. Then hens were nesting, and the drakes were trading back and forth across the highway looking for whatever action remains to be had. We saw Pintails, Shovelers, Redheads - lotsa species we don't see much in MN, and the regulars too (Mallards, Teal, Woodies, etc.)

Montana was almost completely eventless. We decided to stay in the US as long as possible to save on gas - short of crossing the rockies.  We crossed the border south of Calgary - about 2 am, and it was not manned to well. It took 90 minutes to have our vehicle inspected, and the guns I brought along didn't help.  Alberta was eventless too. Got rid of the wind, but endured lots and lots of rain. We finally shut it down last night at about 11pm. We had been driving for 41 hours, and both of us needed some rest.

Getting gas last night the last time was funny. We were in the middle of nowhere and had no idea where our next gas stop would be. Gas has been continually climbing - from 3.59 a gallon in Montanny, to ten bucks a gallon where we are now. The last thing we want to do is run out at night in this remote country. So anyway, we stop at the ho-dunk dive bar/cafe that has a gas pump straight from the 1950's.  The lady comes out and unlocks it and we started disputing the usefulness of the metric system. I told her the US was interested in it until I was in 5th grade, and then we abandoned it, and they should do the same. Then she started asking about how we would buy and sell pot? Not too much later, she looked at me funny and said something about being a cannibal, and that we should watch out tonight. We left.

After a good night sleep, we got back on the trail to a beautiful sunshiny day. This am, we have seen a half dozen moose and at least ten bears. One sow had three cubs, and when I got too close, she charged - but she was bluffing. I got some fun pictures. The bears are pretty intensely eating grass in the ditches, which is good for me. We also saw a big cow moose with a newborn calf. Lots of buffalo too. Even a few mountain caribou, and two bighorn sheep. I tried to slap a buffalo in the hinder as we passed, but he was just a little too fast for me.

Well, I must go. PJ is tired of waiting for me. First he says his butt is sore from sitting, and he just can't stand it anymore. Then he's anxious to get going - it's a long ways. So it's a handfull keeping this guy happy, but so far I'm still grateful to have him along. He bought me a new battery for my truck (nice birthday present), and a big cinnamon roll this am that was to die for.  The lady here says 7 hours to Whitehorse (Yukon Territory) and then another 800 miles of tough road to Anchorage. This is a long, long trip but very, very cool. Rugged mountains. Remote roads. Little country stores that are right out of the 60's and 70's. Wildlife. Snow capped mountains. Turquoise blue/green water. We are anxious to wet a line.

Will post again in a couple of days if I can. Bye for now...


No comments:

Post a Comment