Monday, June 10, 2013

Going bear hunting...

While PJ was here, we located at least a dozen bears in Tutka Bay, across the other side of Katchemak Bay. They were up high - above treeline and at snowline. It would be a full day ordeal, or possibly longer - so we didn't do that while PJ was here. Yesterday I went to church - then went to a BBQ - then did yardwork for Maria. Today, the schedule is clear. I'm going to climb a steep bugger of a mountain, and get up high where they live. Then I'm going to glass till I find the one I want (hopefully), and make a sneak attack. It will take me several hours to climb the mountain. I want to be up there before suppertime, which is when they start to get active (It's hot and sunny here, so they are sleeping in the shade during the daytime). If I can get one killed, I will start it rolling down the hill as far as it will go (seriously, it is easily that steep). Then, I'll butcher it and carry the meat, hide, and skull down in my backpack.  If hunting is tough, I will have my bedroll along and will sleep up there and hunt again the next day. There is no way I'm going to climb that hill twice.

There was two or three sows up there with cubs from last year, and it is now mating season, so I'm thinking there has to be a mature boar or two up there. With any luck, I will be posting pictures of a successful hunt in the next couple of days...

No comments:

Post a Comment