Friday, June 14, 2013

Fish for dinner


Sorry the photo is sideways. I switched it once. Oh well. You get the picture. These are Alaskan Pollock. They are easy to catch around here. I just get them trolling rapalas in anywhere from 20-200 feet of water. Literally, they fill the entire water column - and they are super aggressive.  Look at my cool new fillet knife. Lauren Dorweilers dad Paul made it for me. I also have a smaller skinning knife to match, and they both come in a leather knife sheath. Worked great for cleaning these fish!

Yesterday was a lazy day. Slept in. It's pretty easy to play around here till 1 am, wind down a bit, and then sleep till ten or noon :-)

Took Maria fishing last night - just for a couple of hours. We put in at the harbor, and started catching Alaskan Pollock immediately outside the harbor - just pulling deeper diving shad raps. We kept about 8 of them, cleaned them up, and immediately went home and fried them up for dinner. Pollock and cod get a bad rap around here by the locals - who treat them like Minnesotans treat eelpout or burbot - but I think they are much better. Eelpout and burbot tend to be sloppy, jelly-like meat that has a strange consistency. Basically, it's not firm flesh. But the pollock is white, flaky, and much more firm. I cooked it Minnesota style by using saltine crackers for batter and frying in lots of butter - and now Maria is sold. Look - no bones! No worms! And it actually tastes good. Really! I've a feeling we'll be eating more. I'd say it's not better than walleye or crappie - but then we are kind of spoiled up in MN, aren't we. Now, I just need to figure out how to catch salmon, halibut, and rockfish. It's not as easy as one would think. It's all about the spot, and I'm fairly limited by the size of my boat, and of course, my knowledge.

I listed my boat and my camper on craigslist yesterday. Tons of interest so far in my camper, but none in the boat yet. My hope is to not have to drag all of that stuff home. If I can get a good price, or even make a profit, then I can replace them later.

Here's a pic of the fish we caught last night...

No comments:

Post a Comment