Friday, July 26, 2013

So this is Pushki...


Also called Indian Celery or Cow Parsnip - but the Russians call it Pushki, and so do all the locals.  Pushki is native to most of north america, but I don't remember ever seeing it in Minnesota. It's especially prevalent in Alaska though, and grows all around the fringes of Maria's yard.  It's usually waist to head high, and has big hollow stalks, and huge leaves.  Maria has been warning me to stay away from it, but until the other day, it hasn't seemed to bother me a bit. Apparently though, if you brush the leaves - it can leave a residue on you, and once activated by the sun, it can leave some nasty chemical burns.  Interestingly, I just read on Wikapedia that the Native Alaskan Indians used it for all kinds of things, including remedies for sickness, ointments, and they even eat the stalks when it is young (It does look kind of like Rhubarb).

Anyway, a few days ago, I declared war on the stuff because it grows crazy around here. It takes over the fringe of the lawn, grows tall, and starts to lean out. Whenever I mow the grass, I brush up against it.  I also have places where I dump the grass trimmings, and any brush or vegetation that I have had to rake or trim around here, and my trails are getting overgrown with Pushki.  The weed whacker takes care of it nicely, and I was having a ball last Monday laying waste to the Pushki.  I was working up a good sweat in the sunshine, and Maria was so happy with what I was doing when she brought me some lemonade.  But the next day, my arms were covered with a rash that looked just like poison Ivy. Then the next day, it was all blistered and oozing. It doesn't itch, but it is really raw and just pretty annoying.  I've been around the Pushki alot throughout June and July - and I'm not sure why it didn't get me before, but for whatever reasons, the conditions were ripe for it now, and it sure got me good. I will beware of the Pushki from now on!

Pictures don't do justice, but my arms are blistered and oozing.


And I am crying like a baby, showing my most unhappy face. Actually, it's not really that bad. I'd rather have Pushki burns than poison ivy - that's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment