Wednesday, July 3, 2013

New Friend - Big Halibut


The look on Andrew's face says it all, as he struggles to hold up the biggest fish he's ever caught (this halibut is 55 inches long, and weighs approximately 82 pounds according to the charts in the tide book).  I met Andrew on the Alaska Outdoors Forum.  He's a fellow Minnesotan (from Duluth) who came up to Alaska for the summer. He's pursuing his dreams a little earlier than me.  Andrew's mannerisms remind me of my fishing buddy Matt Holbrook from White Bear Lake, MN - he's young, full of energy, savvy about everything fishing, industrial (he makes his own stuff), and most of all - full of passion and desire for the sport.  I put a post on the forum about wanting fishing buddies that would share in expenses, and Andrew answered - so we met up yesterday am at the landing. He's living up in Soldotna, about an hour and a half north of here back toward Anchorage, and just off the Kenai River.  It will be good to have a good information source up there for when things get hopping in July, and vice versa - I will be able to help him with what's going on down here in Homer.  Andrew brought a friend named Joel (they went to college together at the U of M Duluth), and they were a couple of good guys to have in the boat.  They required no help from the old guide - but took care of themselves completely, dropped and hauled up the anchor each time we moved (I appreciate that alot cuz it's a challenge to do alone) and helped with the bait and gas expense. I'd have them back anytime.  Overall, it was a slow day of fishing, but we enjoyed each others company, explored some new spots, caught a giant halibut, and another 20 pounder for me - plus a bunch of miscellaneous cod, pollock, and irish lord.  The next guy that wants to fish with me is named Jake - from Arizona, and I'm hoping to get him out fishing sometime between now and Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment