Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Alpine exploration continued...


The lupins down low are way high - like around mid-thigh high, but the ones up high are low, like ankle high-low. Make sense?  Generally, stuff grows HUGE in Alaska, but when you get up to the alpine areas, I noticed that the flowers are very short and scattered. It's a very harsh environment.


This was a peak over the edge to the east, down into Sadie Cove - a fjord that runs many miles back into the Kenai Mountains.  This was too steep to hunt, but looking at it satisfied my curiosity.  BTW, I have seen numerous mountain goats and bears on the opposite side from my boat down below.


Now this is what I came up for!  A nice grassy slope, which is superb for spring bear hunting.  PJ and I saw numerous bears using this area - but that was about a month ago. Would they still be here? My plan was to watch it, as if on deer stand, for the next twelve hours. It proved to be a grueling feat.  On the way up, between all the rain and the morning dew on the vegetation, I was soaking wet.  I was chilled from sweating too.  Up here, it was in the 40's I'm sure, with all clouds and some wind - so it didn't take me long to get cold.  I packed light, just in case I had to pack a bear out - so no extra clothes.  Everything I have is wet.  What I'd give for some dry socks right now.  I watch.  I take cat naps.  I take my wet socks and boots off and put them in the wind - hoping they will dry.  I wear one wet layer and take the other two off, hoping they will dry a bit in the wind.  And then a squall blows in and undoes anything that I have accomplished.  Periodically, clouds blow in and I can't see a thing.  Then it rains. Then it clears.  At one point, it clears, and there is a bear out on the hillside across from me!  I judge that he is 700 yards away, straight downhill.  Now I have to judge the bear - to see if he is worth going after.  There aren't any cubs around, so I can safely assume that it's either a boar, or a young sow without cubs.  One of the signs of a big bear is that their ears look small in proportion to their head - and in this case, the ears look medium to large - so I'm guessing this is roughly a two hundred pound bear.  It's early, so I continued to watch - hoping that this would be a good sign of more to come.  This bear disappeared and reemerged somewhere else three times - so I was able to track it over the course of several hours.


Below is San Juan Island and bay - and this is the place where PJ and I discovered this bear spot from down below.  If you look closely, there is a reflection of a cloud in the bay, and near that, there are three boats moored.  I know, they are small - it's a long way down.  

There is a cool raptor that keeps soaring right by me; I'm not sure what it is?  It's big like an eagle, but behaves more like a hawk.  The tail is white, but the head is not.  The wings are dark, but there is a white spot on each side.  He's been hunting the marmots, and they keep whistling to each other -warning of the danger. I need to get out a bird book and figure out what this bird is.

Numerous times, I had to get up and walk to stay warm.  I'd go to the other side of the mountain, where I had reception, and do a little texting with my peeps.  Then come back when I felt warm enough to last a couple more hours.  I pass the time, eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cookies, m&m's of course, and lots of fruit.  What I did pack up was a gallon and a half of gatorade - I knew I'd need it.  I sweat alot here.  It's humid, but not the hot sticky humid we have in MN.  You sweat, but you feel cool at the same time. At least I do...

I'm hopeful that more bears will come out; that's what keeps me enduring.  When PJ and I watched from below, the bears became more and more active between 6 and 9 pm, but by 9 pm, all I have seen is a coyote messing around down below me.  I realize that if I killed a bear at this point, I might miss the next high tide coming at 2 am (remember- my boat is beached) - so I begin my trek back down - thinking I will hunt along the way, and maybe see a bear in the big bowl on the way back.


The sun is setting in the distance, and I thought one of the stone piles looked cool, but pictures rarely do things justice...


It's 11 pm, and now I'm back down into the trees.  I can't help but wonder the status of my boat.  I can hear the tidal waves crashing down below. Is it still there, or did the tide pull it out?  What would I do if it were gone?


Wouldn't you know it, as I get closer to the bottom, I find several fresh piles of bear crap that were not there this morning when I came up the trail.  I emerge on the beach to find my boat still there, what a relief, but it is still beached, and I wind up waiting 90 minutes for it to float again.  Then it's back across the bay, get the boat on the trailer, and get some sleep.  This has been a learning experience.  I now know how to access this good bear hunting spot - though in the future, I will go earlier in June.  I also know to wear rain gear on the way up, and pack some extra dry clothes just in case.  And, I will be more careful with my boat.  No more beaching it when unloading.  I guy can do that work with knee high boots or waders...

Finally, to add insult to injury, I arrive at the B&B to find a huge pile of bear crap square in the middle of the driveway!  I WILL kill one if I have to shoot it off the deck :-) You'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment